Thursday, September 25, 2014

Breadth II : A House is Not A Home - Inspiration and Process

The objective of this Breadth piece was to use any medium to build our representation of a home.

The concept that I wanted to stick to was that sometimes you can't find a home amidst the many houses you encounter. Finding that special place or getting over the one you lost can take years. I want my piece to embody this sometimes futile search.

Sometimes a home is made of the memories, people, and experiences we associate with it; not the physical structure itself.


Admit it, Luther Vandross is THE MAN. 

Here is one of my initial sketches:



I started off making cardboard cut out houses out of simple templates of varying sizes. 




I then chopped one of my rough draft houses so that when it rested on the table it looked as if it was stuck in the ground. 



I multiplied the dimensions of that test house by three and constructed a bigger version as the base of my mountain.


After constructing the small and medium sized houses, I glued everything on the mother house in a gravity-defying fashion.



After adding a coat of white spray paint to make sure the interiors of the houses weren't brown, I covered the entire form with a sandy-white acrylic paint and painted the tiny houses red to accent the color scheme.


I topped everything off with a black feathered strong along all the edges of my houses to give the sculpture a weathered feel. 





I hope I managed to capture the nostalgia and loneliness of not feeling at home with this piece. 




No comments:

Post a Comment