Thursday, September 4, 2014

Breadth I : Organic Texture Sculpt - Process


I first started by placing some slabs in two hemispherical penguin bowls. The bowls must be penguin themed. That is of the utmost importance. 

After a a day or so of drying, I scratched and attached the two hemispheres together while also puncturing a hole through their centers and scratching attaching them together to form a donut shape. 


This piece was originally based on the picture pasted on the right-side page of the sketchbook above. It was meant to have the outer texture of the said sea urchin and the inside of the "donut hole" was to have tentacle-like extensions. 


I literally turned my concept on it's head when I got bored with my Homer-Simpson-attracting donut sculpture. I continued with my tentacle concept but dropped the nipple-looking sea urchin texture on the exterior for coral/mushroom-like details on the interior.









I finally topped everything off with some outside etched texture and voila!— A random organic sculpture reminiscent of sea life is in the making. 

Let's Glaze!


I first used some layered underglazes on the exterior which I sanded to create a naturally faded multi-color effect.


I then used some very versatile and interesting high fire glazes in the interior which have different colors and textures depending on the amount of coats and depth of glaze.  

I painted the tentacles with an aged glossy black glaze that had a fantastic crawling effect after being fired. This effect is usually unwelcome so make sure you know whether the glaze you use is super old or this might just happen without your intention!


I am really happy with my super weird and out-of-this-world aquatic themed sculpture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment