Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Concentration VI: The Clown - Glazing Process

My whole life I have been moderately terrified of clowns with big red noses, frightening makeup, obnoxious antics, and a cacophony of colors. I realized when brainstorming this character the immense pressure to "reinvent" the classic clown character. There have been so many varied depictions of the frightening funnyman that were really making my head spin. But I soon realized that I had never seen a clown that lacked all of its many colors and then it was decided, the grey clown would be born. 


I first glazed the entire sculpture black and then wiped off the excess with a sponge.




I finished by adding a simple layer of black and white makeup with red accents while avoiding covering up his sad expression.


And voila! The Clown came to life in all his sadness and grayscale glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment