Monday, December 29, 2014

Concentration III : The Conjoined Twins - Construction


Before I start, let me just say... what. a. doozie. The process of sculpting these conjoined twins was probably one of the most stressful and time consuming of all the others I've made thus far. I think the problem was that I knew the effect that I wanted to make with the piece but I didn't know how to execute it. I knew I wanted to sculpt circus-y conjoined twins that were conjoined in an asymmetric, reimagined way but I didn't know exactly how they would look. All I really had figured out was the color scheme which only comes into play later. I also wanted one of the twins to seem sad and the other to seem more menacing and parasitic. Here are the many progress pictures and false starts that led, somehow, to the final product.


What.


Ew.


After these three false starts, I enlisted the help of a local model....


Drop dead gorgeous.


 So as you can see, I was making no progress with this weird parasite twin idea.


So OFF WITH ONE OF THEIR HEADS and on with a different plan.


.... and an even worse one at that. 


And then I finally found a happy medium between the two ideas and I magically learned how to sculpt again with the help of trusty Youtube videos. 


And then I finally started having fun again, adding my own Tim Burton inspired touches and challenging myself with sculpting teeth and strangely morphed lips and eyes.


And then I went crazy with the finishing touches adding a fun bow-tie, epaulets, and ruffles.

After weeks of confusion, indecision, and frustration, meet.... 

Phil and Lip, your favorite pair of conjoined twins! 


No comments:

Post a Comment