Monday, December 29, 2014

Concentration II : The Strongman - Glazing Process

Despite being my second concentration piece, The Strong Man ended up being the first to be completed due to its simpler design and color palette. 


A few things were clear from the get-go: I wanted him to be pale and I wanted him to have a leopard unitard. After spending what seemed like a million years trying to mix the perfect color for the orange in the leopard print, I enlisted the help of my teacher because I was getting NO WHERE. She taught me some techniques to mixing glazes and I feel a lot more comfortable doing it now.


I then proceeded to filling in the rest of his features and coloring in his eyes in as detailed a manner as possible.


I wanted him to be pale although he seemed textureless with the glaze I had mixed. To add depth to his skin, I added some pink undertones on his nose, cheeks, forehead, ears, and chin; layered over the pale glaze, then added watered down brown-black glaze to fill into the tiny undulations that I hadn't smoothed over before.


Finally, I added some clear glaze on some of his more prominent features to make him look squeaky clean and polished like a good strong man should!



No comments:

Post a Comment